Frequently asked questions
|How to get an user account?|
|Why do we continue this project?|
|How to find my relatives?|
|What I can search for?|
|How are images used?|
|How to use places?|
|How to ad new persons?|
Application for user account
Living persons can only be viewed by registered and registered users (visitors or editors). Only people who are themselves in the genealogy, can get a user account.
At "Apply for a user account" fill in the form with username, password and email address and enter the reference to the family in the remarks field. Choose your own username and password and remember them!
As soon as a user account is requested, an e-mail with a confirmation link will be sent to the specified address. Then follow the link to confirm the e-mail address. Then the new user is allowed by the administrator.
A user will not be able to log in unless both "Email Verified" and "Administrator Approved" options are set.
In memory of our late parents we continue the Genealogy our father had started.
Here you find information about our parents Helmut and Elisabeth Paul (see bookmarks below) and persons related to them by birth or marriage.
Our father passed away just before Christmas 2015. His scientific work on Stopping Power is now hosted and continued by the IAEA.
He has been interested in genealogy for years. As a boy, he started making genealogical charts of the Greek gods. Later, it occurred to him that his own relations would also be interesting, and that there are many live people among them whom he could contact and ask for information.
Originally, he used sheets of paper for his charts. Then he found a computer program much more versatile to store the growing amount of information. Now, by putting the information into the Internet, he hoped to make it available to more people.
To respect the privacy of living people, only empty boxes (or the word "private") are shown for living persons. But if you are a member of the family, feel free to request a user account for yourself - then you can see all the information.
Like our father did, we dedicate this site to the memory of our mother Elisabeth who has died in 2008
A little Introduction to find your way in this genealogical system.
- In this system, all persons have an identification number (ID): I1, I2, I3,...
- To see eg. Helmut or Elisabeth Paul’s ancestors (descendants), choose Charts/Pedigree (descendants). Then in the box options on the left, choose I1 or I2 for the Root Person ID. The small sysmbol beside the numeric field helps to find any person by name.
- Another nice way of presentation is the Hourglass Chart which shows both ancestors and descendants of the chosen person.
- To find the degree of relationship between persons, choose Charts/Relationship to me.
- If you are a member of the family, you may request a user account for yourself by going to Request a new user account.
How to find people, facts and events.
- Beside the search field top right, there is General Search and Advanced Search.
- You can search for every word you think off could be in this Genealogy. So you can search for names but also words which could be in notes of a person.
- Use search to find persons. Note that all persons are registered by their maiden names. Name after marriage is registered extra.
- Searching for Shoah you will find all persons with any relation to the Shoah eg. in the notes.
- Shared lists: "Died during Shoah"; "Survived in KZ during WWII";
- Searching for Holocaust you will find persons who survived the Shoah and worked or published in the field of "Holocaust".
- You also can search for events. Beside standardevents (birth, baptism...) there are inidividual events combined by the "typ of event".
Till now there are following "types of events": World event (economic crisis; Holocaust); Privat event (Birthdayparty;) Journey; Volunteering;
Images are wonderful to give life to the whole Family story!
- The filename of images should be unique and identify the person also if you don't know her personaly.
- It's also helpful if the filename shows the date of the image, has no special characters, is written only in lower cases. Please avoid blanks and use underscore (_) between words. This is best to avoid any problems with different server systems around the world.
- When more then one person on the photo you could use the last name of several persons in the photo.
- We normaly use the maiden name and not the married name as all persons are registerd under their maiden name and so we avoid to get filenames of one person with different last names. For the title of the Image in the Mediathek you can use the actual Last name of the person from the time of the Photo. Its alos nice to give more description of the photos event in the title.
So a filename could be eg. like this:
Using identified places helps to find people
Our father started to use the four to five category system of places you can find in Wikipedia. Its also used in Google Maps and OpenSource Maps. Until now we use Google Maps, as we didn`t succed to correct integrate OpenSource Maps in this system.
All used places are integrated in the Google Maps System of this Genealogy. So if you want to use a location type in the name of the place and look if there is any suggestion of the system. If not please look up in Wikipedia the categories and type them eg. like this:
Place, City, County, State, Country (the countries name always should be in English)
- Linz, Oberösterreich, Austria
- Altmünster, Gmunden, Oberösterreich, Austria
Any new place we will integrate in the system so the exact location can be found on Google Maps.
Some advices to ad a new person
- Date: We only use the (englisch) Standardformat for gedcom file:
1 JAN 2000; FEB; MAR; APR; MAY; JUN; JUL; AUG; SEP; OCT; NOV; DEC